Preparing Your Home for Spring: 5 Easy Steps
Although winter is not quite over yet, the end is in sight. The first official day of spring is March 20th, 2012, only a few weeks away. Below is a list of things you can do to get your home and yard ready for spring. By the time the warm weather arrives you will be ready to sit back and enjoy!
- The Exterior: The outside of your home has taken a much greater beating than the interior throughout the winter, so it is the best place to start. Walk around the exterior of your home to inspect the caulking around doors and windows and replace caulk that is old or cracking. Also, open windows and doors to examine weather stripping and replace if necessary. At the same time you can check the roof for missing shingles and clean out the gutters and downspouts.
- Landscaping: It might be a little early to begin gardening but you can get prepared early by replacing old garden hoses and clearing debris from your lawn and plant beds.
- Interior Systems: The spring is a very important time to assess your home's heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC) and clean or replace air filters.The last thing you want is to find out your air conditioner is not working on the first hot day of the year.
- Interior Spring Cleaning: By this time of year, the inside and outside of your windows need to be cleaned. It is also time to dust the ceiling fans you will soon turn on again and clean the fireplace from use throughout the winter.
- Emergency Systems: It is important to test your home alarm, smoke alarm, carbon monoxide detector, and fire extinguisher multiple times per year. If you consistently check these things while completing your home's seasonal maintenance, you are less likely to forget.
We hope you find these tips helpful. Good luck and happy (almost) spring!